Saturday, February 25, 2012


A DIARY - PART THREE


The park started the week cold and miserable. Then slowly but surely spring dipped its toe into the icy cold water of the lake. By mid week the lawns were bathed in glorious sunshine as the temperature rose way above the seasonal normal.


I was keen to find out how the winter pansies had fared having been covered in deep snow for a week, then subjected to sub-zero temperatures. I'm pleased to report that they are fine and their little purple and yellow faces are beaming at everyone who stops to admire them!



Apart from them there is very little colour in the park at present. There’s an odd flower here and there, a few winter berries still cling to their branches, and the rose bushes which were given a drastic hair cut in the autumn are beginning to produce deep red leaf buds.


It will be a couple of months before the bowlers return to the green, but the groundkeeper s have already started giving the lawn a bit of tender loving care! This week the mechanical sweeper was brought out to help the blades of grass to stand to attention after having been flattened by the ravages of winter. I wouldn’t have minded but it was a noisy little machine and it well and truly put pay to the lie in I intended treating myself to!


I’m going away for a couple of weeks, so my next report will be in the middle of March. I wonder how different the park will look when I return?

TO READ LAST WEEKS ENTRY CLICK HERE

3 comments:

  1. You've been tagged ... Andrea @ From The Sol
    http://fromthesol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful post, and Keith, the pictures of those pansies made me beam. I'm sitting here in midwinter Wisconsin, ground covered with new snow, dreaming about the spring to come. Thanks for the smile! Amy
    http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2012/02/24/labor-room-blues-in-the-key-of-aargh/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pansies and I like the style of the house in the last picture. Hope you have a lovely time and see you when you come back.

    ReplyDelete