Saturday, October 09, 2010

The end of the pier?


A few days ago I told you about the devastating fire which engulfed the pier in Hastings, just as plans to redevelop it were taking shape. Today I dropped by to pay my respects; not only to the grand old pier, but to the folk who for years have been working tirelessly raising money and keeping the project in the public eye. You only had to see the look on the faces of bystanders to see what this mindless act of vandalism means to the people of Hastings. But they won’t be defeated. Volunteers stood around in day glow jackets rattling collecting buckets. People were attaching flowers to the railings. There was a strong sense of hope over-riding the feelings of despair. I took a few photographs which will hopefully convey something of what I witnessed today.



























click on picture to read the message










































 To see my first account click HERE

1 comment: