Saturday, January 30, 2010

.




I confess to using this week’s Sunday Scribblings prompt 'Milestone' as an excuse write a story in which I can show you some pictures I took a few months ago in the countryside near my home. I hope you’ll forgive me my little indulgence!

You may wish to listen to Sheep May Safely Graze whilst viewing. Although Elgar wrote much of his music in celebration of the landscape in this part of England, I feel the piece I’ve chosen by J S Bach captures the feel of the area just perfectly. Simply click on the arrow.









Meet me at the milestone


Meet me at the milestone he said. Just lately things had been difficult and after months of slowly drifting apart they’d reached a crossroads. Which way to go? 


(click on photos to see far more detail!)

They walked uphill, slowly, heads bowed in silence. The only sound was the swishing of the long grass under their feet and the songs of birds hidden in the bushes, unseen.



He bent down and plucked a bunch of purple flowers. As he offered them to her she pushed them away. He tried tickling the end of her nose with the bloom and she was unable to stop the merest hint of a smile.

On the brow of a hill they stood in silence and looked towards the distant blue sea. Between them and the ocean there was nothing but undulating slopes and rolling golden hills.



They came upon post and wire fence. Beyond it some curious sheep raised their heads and stared at them for a second or two then quickly became disinterested and returned to their meal of lush downland grass. There was a rickety wooden stile and she allowed him to take her hand as she climbed across. They continued their stroll towards the sea hand in hand but still a word had not passed between them.




Suddenly the white chalk cliffs came into view, strung out like Mother Nature’s pearl necklace. They walked down into a dip and at the cliffs edge they climbed down to the pebble beach. They’d reached the end of the path, but they’d reached it together. 



Standing at the water’s edge they threw stones at the waves drifting towards the shore. They slowly turned to face each other. Words weren’t necessary. The milestone was a distant memory.



20 comments:

  1. loved the story and the photos... thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you indulged us. Those photos were gorgeous and went along well with the story.
    Winged Writer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures, and the milestone looks like someone's been sitting on it and kicking their heels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful story.
    Beautiful countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've perfectly blended two exquisite talents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading and viewing your work is such a pleasure. A beautifully re-created scene.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed this very much. Smashing photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyable,low key love story, methinks ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, do I wish I was back in Wales and meandering around right now. Lovely, lovely photos. Great words to accompany them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh! Sheep reminds me of a bunch of Kiwi's ...........

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful countryside - great story.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for telling your story this way. What aa lovely place to live. I enjoy the birdsongs in the background too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Why do those white cliffs touch our hearts so? Beautiful images, loved the story and the bird song was perfect.

    I just read the Rosie story...that made me sad too. We love each other with a blind eye!

    My best.

    b

    http://torristravels.blogspot.com/2010/01/perfection.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Keith somehow I had imagined you a city dweller. Thanks for sharing some of your green with us in the middle of our brown summer. Aw Pretty.ow I am going to see what b. is talking about re; Rosey.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved story and beautiful photos and most especially the music, birdsong and all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful, the story and the photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's probably good to remind yourself there's grass under all that snow. Beautiful pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a potent mix of words, images and sound..beautiful Jae

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Keith, this is all just lovely - the words, music and photos! What a beautiful thing to wake up to. You made my morning!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Keith, I loved the entire piece, words and pictures. They blended beautifully. Your words really take me on the journey.

    Nita Jo

    ReplyDelete