Wednesday, May 31, 2017

.

Post 1540. Thursday June 1

Six Sentence Stories



I only got half of the voice mail because I forgot to charge my phone and later when I did, I stupidly deleted the message and…well, you get the point.

I was invited to one of those battle recreations where grown men put on imitation suits of armour and play soldiers. I got as far as finding out when it was happening, where it was happening, what time it was happening, that there was no entry charge, and then…nothing.

I wasn’t however expecting to be given a Roman outfit and a plastic spear as soon as I arrived; I assumed I was to be an audience member not a bloody participant!

I joined the hoard of other soldiers and shook in my boots as we faced the enemy, then when the command to charge echoed across the field I found myself being unwillingly carried along, seconds later to be poked in the eye by one of the clumsy foe’s weapons.

You know what, I think this eye patch suits me and it would look perfect with a pirate’s costume!


For Six Sentence Stories where this week's given word is Charge.


.

20 comments:

  1. Be careful what you volunteer for Keith unless you can charge for your time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an excellent reason to call back and get more details next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the pirate eye patch ending. This story has a wonderful flow and is humorous and enjoyable to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha. so refreshing ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! You have a true gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool... love the synchrony that occurs around here... in this case, the concept (that I totally don't get) of re-enactors and military re-enactments.
    over here the Civil War is real popular with the rogers who are attracted to the ...I guess I should call it a pastime, but some them take it way too seriously.
    enjoyable Six

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in 1066 country where the Battle of Hastings took place so re-enactments are a regular event here. Not for me though! Thanks Clark.

      Delete
  7. I am glad he went willingly to meet his fate as Roman Soldier armed with a plastic spear! It sounds like he will have great stories to tell about his "war injury" :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure he'll dine out on it for many years to come! Thanks Josie

      Delete