Thursday, April 13, 2017

.


Post 1505. Friday April 14

Tales of everyday life in the coastal village of Amble Bay

This is our lake. As kids, we loved it. We fed ducks, caught tiny fish in our nets and slid around on the ice in the winter.  You see that little island? We paddled out there and pretended we were pirates. Argh!

Last summer Len Lovejoy thought he’d take up diving. He decided to practice on the lake before braving the sea. We watched as he stood rigid in a pedalo like a latter-day Christopher Columbus.

‘Fobble-ible-oble’ he said. Speaking with a snorkel stuck in your mouth isn't easy. 

Wifey Laura started furiously peddling, her knees bobbing up and down. Unfortunately, they forgot to untie the boat from the bank. It jerked to a halt and poor Len toppled head first into the water. Ignoring our laughter he clambered back aboard, a lily-pad adorning his face. We untethered them, and off they sailed, stopping in the middle. We beat out a drum roll on the picnic bench. Three...two...one...

I wish you'd seen what happened next! Len jumped into the water unaware that it's only two feet deep or in his case two knees deep! Len standing there was one of the funniest things we’ve ever seen!

Gosh, look at the time! I have to dash. See you at the cafe tomorrow at ten o'clock sharp.




To read a brief description of Amble Bay and see a scribbled map just click HERE


Tomorrow morning over coffee I'll tell you all about the up-and-coming May Fair

Previous episodes – A B C D E G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z


.

42 comments:

  1. Heeheehee! It sounds like the lake is a wonderful place for great memories, and new stories, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me smile. Are the illustrations yours? They are so apt for the post. Reminds me of a very Blyton-esque feel when I am reading. Amble Bay sounds like a place I'd like to visit ;)

    *L for Less: Shailaja/The Moving Quill*

    Theme: An Oxymoron in 100 words (Micro Fiction)
    Category Writing (WR)
    #AtoZChallenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictures are partly mine! I add bits, combine, chop and alter ones I find on Google! I'm delighted you are enjoying your viaits

      Delete
  3. Hi Keith - oh gosh I can see that ... thank goodness he landed standing ... life at the Lake in the village of Amble would be amusing to read more ... cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/l-is-for-legendary-beasts-of-britain.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was told to jump in feet first - fortunately! Thanks Hilary.

      Delete
  4. Ha! That's hilarious. Thankfully he didn't hit his head or it would have been a tragedy
    Lucky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might have knocked some sense into him! Cheers Neha

      Delete
  5. When the small tributary behind my home floods it gets about two feet deep. My boys used to catch frogs in it. Oh, the muck...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was worth the muck I'm sure. A ahild I caufgt frogs from a scruffy little pond in the field behing our ouse. Thanks for reminding me!

      Delete
  6. Ha! The illustration at the end made me laugh out loud! Imagine the look on his face, landing in knee deep water with all that gear on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it illustrated the scene perfectly! So pleased you liked it.

      Delete
  7. Ouch, that must have hurt. All that laughter I mean :) the lake sounds idyLLic, however.

    Nilanjana
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliantly written AtoZ. Love the theme and your style is wonderful. See you at the café.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No thanks. Just milk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just as well he didn't dive in head first! Hope Len managed to live down that misadventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did Nick. He's thinking of a parachute jump next!

      Delete
  11. This did remind me of a funny story of my uncle. I won't bore you with it, but he ended up wet in a lake too. Good stuff, until tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell through the ice on a pond once when I was a nipper. That was shallow too luckily!

      Delete
  12. Oh, Len! Didn't he know that you always have to check the depth of the water before jumping in. :) I would have been laughing so hard and not be able to contain myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could say we laughed so hard our shorts were wetter than Len's - but I won't! Cheers Morgan

      Delete
  13. Childhood memories, real or fabricated, make for some of the very best stories! Childhood is a wonderful adventure, and I often wish it was possible to return to it for a day or two now and then, no big worries, just fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I do sometimes when no-ones watching! Thanks Josie

      Delete
  14. Nice story and an interesting A-Z theme.

    http://sagecoveredhills.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-letter-l-is-for-lots-in-our.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I assume there had never been any exploration of the lake to see how deep it was at it's deepest part. People in small towns often just have the "whatever" laid-back attitude about things, eh? :D

    Calen~
    Impromptu Promptlings
    A to Z Challenge Letter L

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hahaha! I bet that was a sight! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Poor Len. But now we know how deep, or shallow, the lake is. So, in a way, he is an explorer! ;)

    A to Z 2017: Magical and Medicinal Herbs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. He'll go down in history if not the water!

      Delete