Sunday, October 09, 2016

Sunday Photo Fiction

Published Sunday October 9


Finished at last! Oh dear, I think it’s a bit too long. My publisher said fifteen thousand words. I’ve more than double that. A bit of trimming methinks.

Out goes the second chapter. It’s not really necessary. Nor the third. Or the sixth. Good, it’s shrinking.

With a descriptive title I won’t need the opening paragraphs. Actually I may as well strike the whole chapter. Yes, that works.

A few words less in those flowery phrases won’t really alter the story. Mmm, some of the sentences are a little uninteresting  now. Unnecessary even. They have to go. If use a picture of the hero I won’t need to describe his appearance. That's another chunk gone.

What’s left? Chapter four doesn’t make sense without three. I could even remove five as two’s deleted.

The ending is over the top with so much gone so I’ll dump that too. There it goes!

What’s left? Oh! It’s all gone! Every word! All that remains is the title and the hero’s picture. They are not really needed without a story. Goodbye!

I’ll start again and keep count this time. Here goes!

Once upon a time (4 words) there was a man called Eustace (that makes 10 words – 14900 to go!) and he lived in.............

Oh, forget it!




Inspired by this week's picture at Sunday Photo Fiction




5 comments:

  1. Hi Keith - I thought it might be your early prep for NaNo?! But I'm sure many such attempts are like this ... I love my books though .... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me laugh. Although I think splitting it into two books would have been easier ;-)

    Great job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's what you call heavy editing! I'm sure the rewrite would have been even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one Keith I guess there were too many holes in this story in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Amanda. Good one!

    ReplyDelete