Saturday, June 11, 2016

Sunday Scribblings 2

Posted Saturday June 11


The night is still as a grave. Everything around glistens white in the harsh winter frost. My white breath drifts skyward as a shimmering moon shoots shafts of silver light twixt frozen trees and over a blanket of pure white snow. Long black shadows stretch out from the hedgerows and wooden poles that line the narrow lane. My own walks beside me, keeping me company.

The vague figure of a cloaked man comes towards me. He becomes clearer in the moonlight as he approaches, yet I am unable to make out his face. Just an eerie hollow void. As we pass I nod my head in greeting, but it’s as if he doesn’t see me. I glance over my shoulder; he has no shadow, leaves no footprints in the virgin snow.

I am blasted by a rush of freezing wind that stings my face, then ceases as suddenly as it started. When I open my eyes he is gone.



At Sunday Scribblings 2 our given word is Blasted


.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Keith - such a brilliant 'icy-cold' story ... I loved it - I'm glad you posted it in summer time! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Better check to see if you have gone too! Unless of course you are condemned to walk the decaying Earth forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well i am glad you opened your eyes..question is where i suppose ;) a fine, frosty, fearsome flash

    ReplyDelete
  4. This gave me chills. Awesome photo to accompany such a haunting tale.

    ReplyDelete