Tuesday, October 05, 2010

5 October 2010. Hastings pier was destroyed today.

As Victorian seaside piers go, the one which juts out into to the English Channel from Hastings could never have been described as beautiful! It did however have a certain charm, and when it fell into a perilous state in 2006 it was closed to the public. However, a trust was set up to bring the old structure back to its former glory and £3 million pounds was earmarked for the project which was soon to commence.I took this photograph a few weeks ago.






But today was a sad day for the folk in the Hastings area, including me, when the old iron lady was set alight by arsonists.




photo Daily Mail


The devastating blaze has been raging all day, and tonight nothing remains but the legs which once supported this iconic structure and the smouldering remains of the buildings which graced its deck.
 photo Daily Mail



Hastings’ 910ft long pier opened in 1872 and considered to be the ‘peerless pier’. It was given an art deco facelift in the thirties, and during the 60’s and 70’s it played host to major bands including The Rolling Stones, The Who and Pink Floyd. A promise was made to refurbish the original stage and use it in the rebuilt lavish ballroom. Sadly that too has been lost in the fire.


Two teenagers  have been arrested and charged with arson.


3 comments:

  1. Aww, Keith, this is so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard about this of course (I'm in North London) and it's just so sad that someone would deliberately do this...sigh

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh I'm almost in tears. The Hastings pier was one of the structures I enjoyed most when I was there. It fascinated me to no end because I'd had never imagined the like, in my wildest dreams.

    ReplyDelete