Friday, October 10, 2008

Between two bridges

Less than a mile separates London Bridge from Tower Bridge. They both span the River Thames as it flows through the most dramatic and varied part of London Town.
.

The day was unseasonably warm. As I strolled along the river-side walk from London Bridge the sun was as warm as midsummer. Only the occasional golden leaf blowing in the breeze reminded me that we are in the middle of autumn.
.

I sat on a bench and watched the world walk by. Every colour, every creed passed before me. Laughter and jollity sound the same whatever the language.

It was low tide, and I gingerly descended a flight of old stone steps and wandered on the sand and stones with the water lapping at my feet. In a couple of hour’s time this place would be under several feet of icy water.



Every now and then the walkers coming toward me parted like the red sea as a huffing puffing stomping jogger appeared from between them.

I passed The Tower of London, the notorious castle-like jail and scene of many a beheading. Crowds of eager visitors queued to follow their black and red uniformed Beefeaters through the mysterious entrance then deep into the dungeons below.
.


It is here the stark contrast between today’s London and that of centuries ago are most apparent. Glass clad creations point skyward as a backdrop to the castles ancient walls.
.


As I approached the magnificent bridge I dodge and weaved between happy-snappers photographing each other, some beaming into the lens, others pointing to blue and white structure behind them. Several times I was handed a camera and asked to take a picture of a group or a cuddling couple. Just how many folk will have me in the background of their pictures I cannot imagine!

I climbed the steps onto the bridge and looked back toward London Bridge. Beneath me, packed tour boats passed by. The tinny amplified voices of the tour guides instructing their audiences to look right, then left, then right again.
.


Two hours later I was back home. Back to the peace and quiet of the seaside. London felt a million miles away.
.


3 comments:

  1. in america we have no real history,, we go back a generation or three at best... i do enjoy the pictures as well as the history that you are able to provide first hand...

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the tour. i loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As usual with your wonderful photos and excellent commentary, I felt like I was in the heart of London. Someday . . .

    ReplyDelete