Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I needed directions!

'
So far so good. Train on time, I managed to get a seat, and the coffee on board was drinkable. I walked out of the train station into an alien world. Never been there before and I had 30 minutes to find my way to my appointment. I was told it was just a few minutes’ walk, so it shouldn’t have been a problem. Like I said, it SHOULDN’T have been a problem.

I walked up to a priest and asked him where I could find Higgledy House. ‘Ah’ he boomed. ‘Walk onward until you come upon St Christopher’s. Take the right turn and go forward to St. Peters. At the junction, cross then look out for the synagogue on the other side. Then ask again’.

I did as I was told, then I caught sight of a fellow on a bench. He looked as if he’d had a couple of drinks, but there was no one else around so I asked him to direct me to Higgledy House. ‘See the Black Horse? Well go past it, then go on until you see the Pig and Whistle. Go left and when you get to the Kings Head ask again’.


When I got there I found an old lady struggling along on her Zimmer frame. ‘Can you point toward Higgledy House please?’ ‘Yes young man’ she croaked. ‘Up there you’ll see the doctor’s surgery. Turn left then walk until you see the Welcome Home for the Bewildered. Then go over the bridge and you’ll see the Happy Day Centre. Walk toward the hospice and you’ll see it next to the District Hospital’. I thanked her and continued on my way.

There at last! I strode through the door, walked up the receptionist and announced my arrival. ‘I think you may have got the wrong place’ she said. ‘This is Raggedy Hall. You need to go out again, and when you see Buzz Fashion turn right. Go past Glitz Shoes and continue until you see Diamonds Jewellers. Just beyond Miss Trendy Boutique you’ll see the train station. Higgledy House is right alongside.


I made it on time, had my interview and got the job! I wandered into St Christopher’s to offer up a prayer of thanks, then marched into the Pig and Whistle were I had a celebratory drink. And another celebratory drink and another. I staggered out, tripped over and ended up in the District Hospital!

Quite a day!
'
'

8 comments:

  1. It is so good to see you writing daily. I kind of missed your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a day, indeed, keith!

    Is this true story or fictional? I couldn't imagine this could happen. As if somebody was playing hoax to your to the character. Did he rise from the wrong side of the bed that day? But I like to see the lighter side of this with him getting the job.

    I wish you well.

    ~ Jeques

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea. Nice one. As I was reading it, it reminded me of fellow-bloggers. You know, Elderly People = Elaine, Hospitals etc = Mousie, Churches etc = AnneDroid, and, of course, Pubs = Kei.........well, us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my....if this truly happened I certainly hope you're alright! Great news that you got the job though!

    Hugs Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful read Keith- thank you!! I think it's fiction...I'm pretty sure it must be, but you know, there's a niggling thought at the back of my mind saying 'watch out because, yes, this could happen!!'
    I love that...when one can't quite tell if it's fiction or true!!
    Oh- but of you did get the job....well done!!!
    Bella :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay - let's put the record straight! It was fiction based on fact! How about that for sitting on the fence!

    I wrote it because the other I day I DID ask priest for directions and he DID direct me using churches as landmarks. Similarly I asked a lad carrying a can of beer in his hand for directions and he DID direct via pubs!

    But that's where the facts left off and the fictional embellishment took over!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a fabulous story, true or not. If it were me, I would have just had to go ahead and voluntarily check in to the Home for the Bewildered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh I love your wit and humor great piece.

    ReplyDelete