Monday, May 05, 2008

bringing in the may

'

There's not a budding boy, or girl, this day,
but is got up, and gone to bring in May.

It’s the first Monday in May. It’s a special day in the green and leafy villages of England. The day we celebrate the transition of spring to summer. And bang on cue Mother Nature came up with the warmest day of the year so far.
.
By tradition, children will have gone out early this morning to gather flowers from the wild to bring good fortune into their homes. Today, girls will have washed their faces with clear cold water thus assuring them beauty for the coming year then danced around the maypole, originally intended as a phallic symbol.
.
A short walk from my home took me to this year’s May Day Fair. As usual I found myself surrounded by old fashioned attractions such as the brightly coloured chairoplanes, crockery smashing and a pet’s corner. Children queued to have their paces painted, or to join in making pottery and masks in the craft tent. Jugglers juggled and clowns pulled funny faces! Everywhere, families sat in circles round bulging picnic hampers.
.
But the centrepiece was the gleaming white Maypole pointing high into the air and topped with the traditional wild flowers of spring. Children in their red and white gingham costumes clutched red and blue ribbons and danced and weaved until the pole was wrapped in its colourful coat.
.This year’s May Queen could hardly contain her joy as a crown of flowers was placed on her head and she was paraded around on a chestnut mare
'And throughout it all, the brass band played!‘.





See my photos of May Day at KEITHS IMAGES click here

'

5 comments:

  1. What a great post. I love to hear about the different celebrations. Your pictures are spectactular. Oh and Happy Cinco De mayo to you sir.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely!!!! It wa sso nice reading up what you'll do out there on May day....
    Here we celebrate it as Labours day....but your detailing was so fun.
    Can visualise all those things you said....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this. It's been a long time since I've thought of May Day. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clear, cold water? I think I'll take my chances.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what fun, so festive and bright! Loved your photos!

    ReplyDelete