Sunday, April 01, 2007

Put that filthy fag out!

On July 1st a ban on smoking in public interior spaces comes into force in England.
The most popular interior space for smokers to congregate is the good old English Pub. In my pub, The Brewers Arms the vast majority of drinkers were also smokers. They sat the opposite side of my bar on high stools twiddling their fingers between which they skilfully manufactured cigarettes from their Rizzla papers and Golden Virginia tobacco. At times I couldn’t see them for smoke even though I had a state of the art air purifier. More to the point, I, and my staff, became unwilling passive smokers.
It is, however, a fact that smokers are considered to more outgoing people and more likely to enjoy to prefer a night out to sitting indoors watching the telly.
It could be though, that non-smokers simply don’t want to go to pubs because of the smoke, and on July 1st they’ll all suddenly come out and face the world!
I don’t know. What I do know however is that that pubs the country over are now spending fortunes on constructing outdoor smoking areas - with less than 50% cover!
Then there’s the penalty for allowing smoking in your pub. A fine of £2500 metered out to the landlord and £80 to the smoker.
This bill doesn’t of course just apply to pubs. It’s anywhere where people gather together including the workplace. And did you know that a company owned van or car counts as a work space! If the hapless driver want’s a drag on a fag he has to get out and light up outside!
Our government passed a bill last year banning the hunting of foxes by huntsmen on horseback. It has been totally ignored, and the hunt is now more popular than at any time in its history. The Police have ignored it. They’ve presumably got more important things on their plate.

Will the same apply to smoking in enclosed public places?
Maybe, but I wouldn't advise anyone to risk it!

1 comment:

  1. How on earth did the cigarette assume the name 'fag'? Tell me, who's bright idea was that? Do you know anything regarding the terms origin? My inquiring mind would like to know.

    How great are the differences in this vast world of cultural divide.

    ReplyDelete