Sunday, December 17, 2017

.

Post 1652. Sunday December 17



It was cold. So cold, I swear I saw my children’s snowman shiver. Every breath was painful, it was as cold as a winter’s night could be. I walked down the twisting lane heeding every step lest I slip on the carpet of snow beneath my feet. Either side the grassy banks stood rigid, white. White topped hedgerows sparkled in the moonlight, and distant barren trees wove a border of lace twixt the glistening field and the grey winter’s sky above. The shadow of a man, head bowed kept me company. It was mine.

I trudged into the village. There was not a soul to be seen, just six disgruntled ducks standing motionless on the frozen pond. All was quiet but for the crunching of the snow beneath my boots. As I turned a corner I saw a distant golden glow. As I walked towards it, quietly at first, then more loudly, the sound of merriment and laughter filled the air. I had arrived. I pushed open the heavy oak door at once my spirits rose amid the sounds, smells, and warmth of the ancient inn.

“Mine's a brandy landlord, and make it a large one!”



Word count 196


24 comments:

  1. Hi Keith - tis that time of year ... enjoy the week ahead - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Based on the recent cold weather perhaps? It's a welcoming glow indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cold but no snow down in this little corner - not yet, anyway! Cheers Iain

      Delete
  3. It is nice to arrive where it's warm and cozy and there are friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A journey through the icy cold can be treacherous and unpleasant, but worth it for the warm welcome that awaits at the end! I enjoyed the great imagery of the towers of white on either side. Your description made me shiver!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Joy - hope you've warmed yourself up again!

      Delete
  5. It would be good to see a snowman shiver, and find brandy after that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice story. I am about 75 feet from the mailbox at the curb and there are days here in winter when my walk down there is just like this - without the brandy, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should treat yourself after a journey like that Denise!

      Delete
  7. I liked your seasonal story, most atmospheric & cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Keith! Nice to find your blog after you signed up for the WEP challenge. I see you're right into flash fiction so you'll fit right in! Loved your flash. Made me shiver and want that brandy. I'm from Australia and such cold is unknown, and feels like reading about another planet. You created a great mood and continued throughout. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for looking me up Denise and I'm so glad you liked my tale. Looking forward to WEP Wednesday.

      Delete
  9. The most welcome of all glows, the glow of a place that provides you a hot drink on a cold night :-) Lovely story!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the descriptions very evocative - cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was great, Keith. I felt like I was trekking through the snow and cold with him. I felt the warmth of the inn. Good writing with realistic description that brought it alive. Season's Greetings. :) --- Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Suzanne. Enjoy the festive season!

      Delete