Saturday, July 04, 2015

She alone

At this week's  Sunday Scribblings 2 our prompt is garden, whilst over at Sunday's Whirligig, our words are provided by Old Egg and they are misty world talk head again place silence beyond people nowhere beginning and everything.



She lives in a world of her own, isolated from the frenzied existence of the townsfolk beyond. Her home, a little wooden shack nestled in a wild wooded garden in the middle of nowhere. She is at one with the trees and creatures of the undergrowth.

In this place, everything she needs and all she desires surrounds her. The sound of silence is the only sound she covets; the only sound she hears. No need to talk. No one to hear.

In the silvery light of a misty moisty dawn, she stands motionless in her doorway entranced by sparkling droplets of dew which dance upon slender blades of grass quivering in the gentle breeze. 

Her eyes are drawn to a hazy apparition rippling amidst the aged oaks. Amorphous, nebulous. A  person? A beast maybe. Perhaps a spirit, for spirits dwell in these woods.

Mesmerised, she drifts outside. Barefoot, head held high and arms stretched before her, she glides into the hoary miasma.... never to return.

The end? The beginning.  Who knows? 

Only she and she alone


.

22 comments:

  1. I got serious chills from this. The ambiguous ending is really delightful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this feels soooo good! Well done 😀

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I liked this - it spoke to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Curiously when I was a little boy I always fancied living in a shack in the woods free of the family especially my brother. I would wake up to the whisper of the trees and birdsong. Yes this should have been me! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would happily do so now. Not sure I'd want to be spirited away though!

      Delete
  5. If a woman exists in the woods without making a noise does she exist at all -je pense, donc je suis- perhaps! I very much liked this trip in the forest...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps she does, maybe she doesn't. Nous ne saurons jamais.

      Delete
  6. Now if she had a ferocious guard dog this would never have happened !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have to have been a quiet ferocious dog!

      Delete
  7. I'm enchanted by your tale ... and probably because I can identify with a desire to be in this place - "In this place, everything she needs and all she desires surrounds her. The sound of silence is the only sound she covets; the only sound she hears. No need to talk. No one to hear." Beautifully written. Bastet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Comments like yours make it all worthwhile! I wrote and rewrote the passage you highlighted time and time again until I got it right.

      Delete
  8. Yes, enchanting is the perfect word for your piece...I love to think of her, in her little cottage, in the forest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much annell, your comment really is appreciated.

      Delete
  9. Very vivid, I could picture it. I wonder where she's headed. But yeah, I guess, only she knows!

    Leo @ I Rhyme Without Reason.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first part of this story sounds like my fantasy life come true....I would love to live in a shack in the woods alone...that sounds absolutely delightful, especially the beautiful way that you have described it. That ending though? I'm not so sure that isn't just a little ominous ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think it had a happy ending! Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  11. Beautiflly told! Love the mystery of the ending!

    ReplyDelete