Sunday, January 22, 2017

.



Post 1431. Sunday January 22




“Your key sir. Room 526”

 A porter who had been standing beside me walked away.

“I regret we are unable to carry your suitcase for you sir”

The lift shuddered as it arrived at the fifth floor; the doors half opened then jammed, leaving me barely enough gap to drag out my case. I found room 526. As I tried to insert the key-card, the light above me flickered then plunged the hallway into darkness.

When I eventually got into the room I was aware of a strange atmosphere. Despite the stifling heat, I shivered.

Flight  463 had been delayed by several hours and I felt too tired to go down to the restaurant for supper, so instead I decided to order room service. I called reception and asked for meal 7 with a side order of 4 and a bottle of bottle of number 2.

“2, the Merlot, is unavailable sir. May I suggest  8, the Shiraz?” I accepted his suggestion.

“Your room sir?”

“526” I said.

“Ah, we have a problem, sir. I’ve just been informed that room service is temporarily unavailable”

Then it occurred to me.

My room. 5+2+6=13

My flight. 4+6+3=13

My meal. 7+4+2=13


I called reception.”May I have a different room please?” 
.


26 comments:

  1. I think I would ask the switch rooms as well! Wonderfully told story of bad luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope a new room breaks the run of bad luck. Nicely structured tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to think so, just as its not room 733!

      Delete
  3. Oh my, he may want to change his flight too. Ominous tale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very amusing, Keith, nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice amusing integration of numbers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Graham - that's about the best I can manage with maths!

      Delete
  6. I think there are buildings that don't even have a 13th floor. It skips from 12 to 14.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A creepy tale for a creepy hotel!
    Thank you for giving me a reason to stay up another hour tonight!
    - Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree, you structured and planned this one out well. Let's hope the new room gets rid of the bad luck for everyone. Himself and the staff at the hotel, maybe they should just turn the unlucky room into a closet or something like that. Great write!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was awesome, Keith! I love; how you laid out the framework of the story, and I think he was very wise to request a different room, preferably on another floor as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It reminds me of Friday the 13th for some reason.

    There is a "Letter Writing Challenge" starting on 30th of January. it would be amazing if you could participate in it.
    Here is the link for the challenge
    http://mrsdashsayss.blogspot.in/2017/01/12-weeks-of-letter-writing-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! I didn't see where this was going at all. You are so clever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Numbers. I screech at numbers, but you do a good job. Loved how you brought it together.

    ReplyDelete