Friday, February 19, 2016

Sunday Scribblings 2

Sunday February 21

Our single word at SS2 is Paper






It happens so often. I’m with my mates in the Bicycle Arms and one of us cracks a corny joke. We all groan or sigh or giggle, except that is for my friend Rosey who more often than not adopts a quizzical expression and starts an interrogation.

For example, last Friday I told the assembled few that read a piece in the local paper about a bloke who had a go at swimming across the English Channel from Eastbourne to Deppe. I said that when he was two-thirds of the way there, he became very tired and so he turned back. It received a customary mixed reaction.

   Rosey.   But surely he should have kept going or he would have had to swim further.
   Me.       Rosey, I wasn't being serious.
   Rosey.   Well, you should be. He could have drowned.
   Me.       Rosey, sweetheart, it was a joke.
   Rosey.   A joke? You can't joke about something like that.
   Me.      Rosey, it didn't happen.
   Rosey.  But you said it was in the paper
   Me.     OMG Rosey, I made it up!

There is only way to get Rosey to change direction.

   Me.      Would you like another drink Rosey?
   Rosey.  Oh, yes. A large Chardonnay please.

Subject closed. It works every time!

.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry, but I still don't think it's something you joke about. End of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha...I thought it was a good joke.Rosey is still upset with you because you killed her fairies:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is indeed the way to placate our faithful if not a trifle annoying friends..although i never give alcohol to a minor - only powder and pills - a-hem (and I'm not real anyway)...It's ok Rosey Alice understands...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very funny. I've known people like that, too, which proves that the best humor is based upon reality.

    ReplyDelete