Thursday, June 18, 2015

A new life



A short piece inspired by the photo prompt and Salman Rushdie quote at A Prompt Each Day and the given words at Three Word Wednesday which are Dead, Threaten and Hungry






*Between 1788 and 1868, approximately 162,000 convicts were transported from England to Australia by the British government. Many were transported for petty crimes; others were political prisoners. Most stayed in Australia with some rising to prominent positions in Australian society. Approximately 20% of modern Australians are descended from transported convicts.


The Twenty-fifth day of August, in the Year of our Lord Eighteen eighty-three.

I sat shackled to the deck and watched the billowing sails as the wind of change carried me to a new life.  I looked back at the black clouds which could no longer threaten me, for my wretched existence thus far lay dead in the water. I was hungry for a future where the sins and bad deeds of my past would be left behind me. A convict, yes, but a spirit freed.

Regrets? Yes. But I will never forget for my memories will be a constant reminder of what is important to me in the years to come. 


Image:Ship Mary L. Cushing by William G. Yorke  via Wikimedia Commons


18 comments:

  1. ooh this just begs for more of the story such a absorbing piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never read of a convict this hopeful ;) Loved your style of writing and the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A bright future awaits. A hopeful write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fine piece Keith - I always think it ironic that so many Brits now apply to emigrate to Australia - what once was a penal colony is now paradise (asides from the killer insects and snakes)..maybe convicts make for good paradise makers..they know a thing or two I'm sure...and left to them maybe they would have left the aboriginals alone..knowing what it feels like to be punished and marginalised and have to wear a bucket screwed to your head..dear Ned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've made some very good points here Jae Rose. I'm not tempted to set up there myself, but I know many people including relatives who have.

      Delete
  5. We need more, what happens then? where does he go in life? how does it conclude?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A new beginning! I hope he made it as such!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful prose in such a short piece! Thank you for sharing your gift.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think regrets are also important to let us learn our lessons and remind us to be better next time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice little piece. Hope he makes the best of his situation!

    ReplyDelete