Sunday, October 03, 2010

A soary story!

Writers Island prompt this week is 'Soar'


Tom rubbed his sleepy eyes and blinked several times before turning back onto his side and pulling his duvet right up over his head. It was no good. He had to get up. It was the start of another school day, but at least he had football to look forward to. A few minutes later he stumbled into the kitchen.




‘Thought you were staying in that bed of yours all day’ said Tom’s mum. ‘Get this down you’ she said as she plonked a bowl of cornflakes on the table.


Tom gobbled it down, looked at his watch and mumbled something under his breath. ‘Watch your language young man’ growled mum. ‘You’d better fly or you’ll miss the bus’.


Tom grabbed his jacket and his bag and rushed out of the house. Them something really odd happened. There was a rush of wind and Tom was lifted clean off his feet and began to soar upward into the sky! What was happening? Hey, this was fun! But it can’t be happening. Fifth form boys at Tottenham High don’t fly!


‘It must be a dream’ he thought. ‘That’s it, a dream. I remember curling up under the duvet when I should have been getting up, and I must have fallen asleep. But this is fun. I hope mum doesn’t come and wake me up’.


He soared higher and higher. He shot into the clouds, and when he came out the other side .....’Woaaaa – an airplane’ he screamed as he whooshed past a 747 who’s pilot seemed to be flying it with a startled look on his face and a hand over his eyes. Up and up he went. He passed an angel sitting on cloud playing a guitar. ‘Now I know it’s a dream’ he thought. ‘Angels play harps’.


Higher and higher he soared. The moon was getting closer and closer. ‘I’m gonna crash land’ he thought. ‘But I am a bit hungry, and the moon looks awfully like it’s made of cheese’. As he got closer he saw there was only one building on the surface. It was a pub called The Man on the Moon, and outside was a bearded chap waving a packet labelled Biscuits For Cheese and a pack of butter. But suddenly his direction changed and once again he was flying upwards at an incredible rate of knots. He flew past satellites and meteorites and stalagmites. ‘Stalagmites?’ he thought. ‘But they live in caves’. He brushed by planets and shot past stars, including Elvis Presley, and then............’What’s this?’


He seemed to be hurtling towards a mirror! He saw himself rushing towards himself at enormous speed. He screwed closed his eyes and waited for the crash. Nothing. And not just nothing. He stopped dead. Still. Motionless.


*


He opened one eye and right alongside him was....himself! The two of them suspended in space.


‘Who on earth are you? ‘asked Tom.


‘I’m not from Earth!' said his mirror image ‘but since you ask, my name is Thomas. So who on Doppelgangia are you?’


‘I’m Tom from Tottenham’ he answered, and with that they flew apart at a million trillion zillion miles an hour.


*


Tom rubbed his sleepy eyes and blinked several times before turning back onto his side and pulling his duvet right up over his head. ‘That was hell of a dream’ he said to himself. It was no good. He had to get up. It was the start of another school day, but at least he had football to look forward to. A few minutes later he stumbled into the kitchen.


'Mum, are you okay?' asked Tom.


‘What...what...erm...but you went to school an hour ago, I saw you go out the door’


‘Very funny’ said Tom. ‘No time for breakfast, I overslept – why didn’t you wake me up?


‘But, but, but, you had breakfast, - there’s your empty bowl'


‘Are you sure you are okay mum?’ said Tom as he walked towards the door. ‘Where’s my coat, and what’s happened to my bag? I know I left it there last night........’


*


Thomas rubbed his sleepy eyes and blinked several times before turning back onto his side and pulling his duvet right up over his head. It was no good. He had to get up. It was the start of another school day, but at least he had football to look forward to. A few minutes later he stumbled into the kitchen.


‘Tom, what are you doing here?’


‘I live here’ laughed Thomas. ‘And what’s with the Tom? You always complain when people shorten my name.


*


So there you have it. Proof that there is at least one other planet out there in space, possibly called Doppelgangia where each of us has a double, and life goes on exactly as it does here. Having said that, I’m not entirely sure about the flying bit. Maybe I dreampt the whole thing up!




4 comments:

  1. I used to have a double at senior school. Boys used to get us mixed up often. She had a sharp nose and an ample bussom but apart from that, I didn't think she looked much like me at all. Shows you what boys notice! Cute story and I love the pic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fun story. Tom Thomas and Thom. Bravo.
    ViV on daughter's computer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two Keeths in the universe....Two Whitesnakes........Not bad....that means double the fun and twice as much drinking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect image for this fun story. Loved the ending!

    ReplyDelete