Monday, July 20, 2009

My hero?

'
This is my contribution to Carry On Tuesday this week.
.

Have you ever heard of Douglas Horton? I hadn’t until a few years ago. I was searching for a quotation to use in a presentation. I popped a few key words into Google and I found just what I was looking for. It was to be used in a session I was conducting on leadership and I was attempting to explain the difference between an effective salesperson and an inspirational manager.
The quote went like this – Thinking good deeds is not enough, doing good deeds is not enough, seeing others follow your good example is enough.
A few weeks later Douglas Horton came back into my mind and I thought I’d have a look for a few other words of wisdom from this wise man. I found literally hundreds of commonsense one–liners! I realised that this American priest from the early part of the 20th century had a few words suited to just about every occasion.
One of my favourites is ‘Growing old is not growing up’. How true!
Whilst I was struggling with this prompt and wondering what possessed me to pick it, I thought I’d pay my old friend a visit to see what he had to say on the subject. He came up trumps again! ‘Be your own hero – it’s cheaper than a movie ticket’.
Whether I shall turn out to be the hero of my life is debatable. I’ve tried to think good thoughts, I’ve tried to do good deeds. But have I seen others follow my example? I’d like to think so because according to the Rev Douglas Horton that would be enough.

7 comments:

  1. I would vote this as a favorite post ever!! Thank you for introducing us to Douglas Horton. Excellent summation... I prefer commonsense to intelligence, unfortunately they don't always go hand in hand!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the introduction to a wise man and his wise words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A pleasure to meet Mr Horton and moreso pleasurable to read your take on the heroism in your own life. I often wonder if we ever truly know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for introducing me to a wise man.
    I only have to look to my son to know I have done something right. He is an exceptional man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that trying to be a hero is half the battle. It shows that we are aware of what we are doing and what behaviour we need to address. Very inspirational quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice post. you inspire me, if that helps

    ReplyDelete