Saturday, July 05, 2008

Maybe I'm amazed


Several readers of my piece Chance Encounter have asked how it was that I met Paul McCartney on that day.

I sat a few feet away from Sir Paul as he received his knighthood from the Queen at Buckingham Palace in August 1997. Many others received honours on that day including Joan Collins who incidentally, crashed into me on a staircase and appogised profusely for her clumsiness! I was privileged to be a guest on that day as my mother in law was also a recipient. Pauls wife Linda, an eminent photographer and animal rights campaigner, had been diagnosed with breast cancer one year earlier and was too unwell to attend. Her place was taken by two of their children. She died in the following April. This video features Linda and the two children in happier times which makes it all the more poignant.





Baby I'm amazed at the way you love me all the time


Maybe I'm afraid of the way I love you


Baby I'm amazed at the the way you pulled me out of time


Hung me on a line


Maybe I'm amazed at the way I really need you


.


.

7 comments:

  1. Truly a remarkable time. Paul and Linda made a great couple in MHO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up on The Beatles. They sustained our family vacations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i feel so bad for paul having such a disastrous relationship this past go round... i guess you cannot expect true love to strike twice,, and maybe,, sad as it may sound he shouldn't try to make it happen.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keith,
    What a thrill it must have been to met a legend!
    The tragedy of a fairy-tale romance played out in real life. They are rre enough, but when you try to recreate it it's like thinking you can win the lottery twice.
    rel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like paisley, I feel so sad that Paul has had such a difficult life since Linda died.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda and Paul appeared to have the perfect relationship. She must be turning in her grave now!

    ReplyDelete