Saturday, December 15, 2007

The Seasons of her Life

This weeks prompt on Writers Island is This Season. I humbly offer you my contribution
.
.
.
.


Eyes like saucers blink in the unaccustomed light.
One moment the warmth of the womb, the next a strange new place.
A child in the
springtime of her life.
These first few years her mother feeds her, cleans and dresses her.
Holds her.
Always there for every need.

Soon she walks, she talks and plays.
School, and friends, and then,
independence calls and she breaks free.
A young lady who runs home with tear filled eyes
with every broken romance.
Once more a child.


Now’s the summer of her life.
She’s blossomed and bloomed and then it’s she
who brings into this world a child of her own.
She’s brimming with optimism, everything is possible.
She climbs life’s ladder, reaches for the stars.
The great entertainer, the belle of the ball
A partner that worships her every move.
But life’s not always sweet
These are the days of ups and downs.
Mostly sunshine but sometimes showers
Things sent to try her, but she never despairs.






Weary with work she looks forward to the future.
Family grown up and she’s preparing to swap
her days filled with work and toil and stress
for days of contentment and rest.
For now it’s the
autumn of her life.
Mellow. A slower pace. Time to stop. Time to breath.
The children now have families of their own .
Granny they call her. She gently smiles
as the memory of life’s seasons past
waft over her
*
.
Where did time go? It seems only yesterday that she was young.
Pictures from the past flood her mind
details intact.
She still hears the sounds of years ago, still senses, still feels.
But what passed seconds before she cannot recall.
Her partner has gone. Her family have lives of their own.
She feels alone. A shadow of her former self.







Weary eyes blink at bright sunlight through unfamiliar windows.
One minute the warmth of her home and now this strange new place.
A lonely confused soul in the
winter of her life.
These last few years her daughter feeds her, cleans and dresses her.
Holds her.
Always there for every need.
.
.
*
.
.
This piece and all of my poems are now on a dedicated site -No Rhyme Nor Reason
.
.
.
The Stranger - Epilogue
The Stranger - complete story

23 comments:

  1. Ahhh what a great piece you have presented to all of us. So these are the days of our lives. Time does truely go bye way too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful Keith. Like the pics too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratiulations Keith this is a fantastic piece of writing I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Keith,
    Thank you for commenting on my blog, You found it through Mary's, Please feel welcome to come back another time.

    I choose for this blog for now, I like your poem/poetry in combination with photography, in one word :"FANTASTIC" to me.Also below the 'Rodin' statue + poem I liked that very much.

    Your other blogs have 'alternative' templates, I like the different style's of backgounds, I never saw them before.

    Have a good Sunday

    Greetings JoAnn (from Holland)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keith, beautiful.
    For everything there is a season.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are beautiful poems Keith. Thank you for sharing them. I really like your frog animation. Wonderful widget!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful depiction of the cycle. This gave me goose bumps, it did.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You strolled through the entire life so poetically, lovely words.
    Love your pictures....they seem so part of the whole lines

    ReplyDelete
  9. the seasons of life, inevitable as the seasons of the year. Nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  10. A superb piece. I especially liked the way it came full circle, with the child now caring for the mother.

    ReplyDelete
  11. With this post, you outdid yourself, Keith. Simply Awesome!



    rooted
    reading room

    ReplyDelete
  12. i am living this for the first real time in my life,, and it is strange,, nothing could compare to knowing all along,, and yet,, being blind sided at the same time... life...

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of the best works I've read about the seasons of life. Very moving and well crafted.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful Keith, these seasons we live again and again...

    I didn't know St. Nicholas was first in blue...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Keith...just wanted you to know that this was an excellent piece.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent post! Truly descriptive of life and the moving in and out of each...nicely done and beautifully illustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was so moving and so full of the old universal truth, it has to appeal to many and along with almost everyone else, I thought the photos were superb.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Keith,

    Breathtaking, tear-jerker, I am astonished by your gift. I feel a lump in my throat reading it, I mentally and emotionally satiated. 'Tis always great to read poetry like this. The reference to the seasons to illustrate the passages of life clearly paint the picture creating a movie flickering in my mind as I read it. A bibliography of her life told in a poem.

    My blog entry before, "Signs Of Autumn" tells the present passage of life I'm going through. I see resonace of my thoughts in your poem in one angle, in a season of the passage. Please click link below to view:

    http://jeques.wordpress.com/2007/11/16/signs-of-automn/

    I wish you well this season.

    ~ Jeques

    postscripts: I like your virtual reality images. A frog this time. How amusing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Keith,

    Breathtaking, tear-jerker, I am astonished by your gift. I feel a lump in my throat reading it, I mentally and emotionally satiated. 'Tis always great to read poetry like this. The reference to the seasons to illustrate the passages of life clearly paint the picture creating a movie flickering in my mind as I read it. A bibliography of her life told in a poem.

    My blog entry before, "Signs Of Autumn" tells the present passage of life I'm going through. I see resonace of my thoughts in your poem in one angle, in a season of the passage. Please click link below to view:

    http://jeques.wordpress.com/2007/11/16/signs-of-automn/

    I wish you well this season.

    ~ Jeques

    postscripts: I like your virtual reality images. A frog this time. How amusing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Seasons of life the stories they tell, pass in the blink of an eye and are as diverse as heaven and hell ...

    You've captured it so well
    Fenny

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Keith, this was simply wonderful. I loved how you completed the circle of life with such beauty, life is so full of ups and downs and you have captured it all here... I am glad I finally got to reading this WI and your being one of the first- thank you.

    UL

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice one Keith, love Celine too, I'm going to clink-the-link to your epilog in a mo.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved the continuity of the poem, beginning and ending with similar lines. You did a marvellous job of capturing the essence of womanhood, how it changes with the difference seasons in life. And I absolutely loved the lines: "with every broken romance/
    Once more a child".

    ReplyDelete