Wednesday, August 09, 2017

.


Post 1578. Thursday August 10

Six Sentence Stories



I love hot spicy food even though it makes me itch, but when a friend challenged me to join him last night at a curry restaurant famous for setting people on fire (not literally of course!) I accepted.

The dish looked scrummy and smelled amazing; the steam was so spicy it made my eyes water and my ears itch but undaunted I shovelled the first load into my mouth. 

**** I yelled, louder than intended and a restaurant full of red sweaty faces turned in my direction, then after croaking an apology, having a scratch and a gulp of water, I was off again.

Itching from head to nether regions I battled on,  one hand eating, the other scratching and that's when it started; hic, burp, itch, hic, burp, parp, scratch, burp and as I couldn’t stop I admitted defeat. 

Last night I kept leaping from my sweat soaked bed to have a scratch, nip to the loo or both at once, and I still haven’t recovered.

Oh no, here we go again, I must dash to the bathroom...  quick... quick... quick...too late!



For Six Sentence Stories where the cue is Scratch


.

19 comments:

  1. Loved your gastronomical story and laughed at your plight. apologies. Indian foods are scrummy , hot and spicy.

    http://ideasolsi65.blogspot.in/2017/08/scarred.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, apology accepted! Indian food is my favourite which is one reason I am such a frequent visitor to India. Thanks Kalpana

      Delete
  2. Niacin did it to me. Itched and scratched as long as I took it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clearly when choosing a restaurant you were playing with fire Keith. You have to train your stomach to accept curries gradually...and learn your limits. It looks as though you could get good advice from Kalpana and Reena above!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My limit in the UK is vindaloo, but when I'm in India anything goes!

      Delete
  4. Curries are lovely, but even i have a limit at how much and how hot. Then again, i grew up in south Louisiana on Tabasco and Crystal Hot Sauce, so maybe i was just trained to heat from an early age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a splash of tabasco! Never tried crystal hot sauce though - need to investigate!

      Delete
  5. dude!
    (stone monasteries in the Himalayas, crude straw huts in the jungle, the base of the Bo tree of legend, there is no place equal in allowing man to accept himself/herself than 'the loo' (aka toilet) in the dead of night.)

    'cellent Six par usualle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man!

      You are so right. Just you and your doo-dah in the moonlight. Bliss!

      Merci beaucoup Monsieur

      Delete
  6. I've never understood the pleasure of eating something so hot it causes physical discomfort. Different strokes, I guess! Great writing, very evocative. And I would love to visit India - just keep my curry mild. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deborah. There's a lot of mild curry in India! I went to restaurant in New Delhi once that offered hotter curries for Brits!

      Delete
  7. I like spice, but heat only in moderation. Besides, it's allergy season here and I am already scratching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't have you double scratching! Cheers Denise

      Delete
  8. Hi Keith - what a fun story ... I've had what they term senile itch - no don't laugh! So totally get your story line ... thankfully I found something that has eliminated the itch ... and I just don't put fire in my mouth any more ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Senile itch? I promise I'm not laughing! And don't worry, the restaurant isn't in Eastbourne!

      Delete
  9. And it was so tasty. How soon before you'd do it again?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, no. Love a kick but not the one that's really smokin hot. Bound to happen, huh?

    ReplyDelete